Food delivery union organisers
Are you a food delivery rider or driver working for companies like Uber Eats, Deliveroo, Menulog and Easi and who is passionate about the rights of food delivery workers? Then this job might be for you!
The Transport Workers Union (TWU) is the union which represents 70,000 transport workers in Australia – including food delivery workers. The TWU has been committed to helping food delivery workers improve their working conditions. This work has included attempts to grow the ‘Delivery Riders Alliance’ and organise delivery workers into the union.
The TWU is seeking two part-time organisers to assist with the ongoing food delivery organising and campaigning work. In the coming months, the TWU will launch a 3-month digital organising project which will experiment with new strategies aimed at bringing together and empowering food delivery workers.
As a food delivery organiser, you will be leading the fight for change in the food delivery sector by helping to unionise and empower food delivery workers.
As a food delivery organiser you can expect to:
- Build activism among food delivery workers
- Recruit food delivery workers into the union
- Identify and develop leaders in the workforce
- Use digital tools to assist with engagement, recruitment and new organising efforts
The role is part-time (10-20 hours per week) and will be based in Sydney CBD, however the role will include some travel within Sydney. The position will be provided for a 3-month fixed term contract. Rates of remuneration set at $25.30 per hour + 13.5% super.
No prior experience is necessary however it is desirable that candidates possess the following skills/attributes:
- Trade union and social justice values
- Strong interpersonal & conversational skills
- Experience as food delivery rider or driver
- Social media & computer skills
- Fluency in a language other than English (particularly Spanish, Portuguese, Hindi, Chinese, Malay)
Send your application to Jack Boutros at firstname.lastname@example.org by COB 30th January, 2021
- A resume/CV
- Short (no longer than 100-word responses) to the following questions:
- What motivated you most to apply for this role?
- What do you think is the biggest challenge facing food delivery workers today?
- What would you like to see changed for all food delivery workers?
- How do you think delivery workers can best achieve this change?