TWU

Subloos South Nowra Goes Into Administration

Release date: 11/02/2016

South Coast Register, by Jessica Long, 9 February 2016
 
Workers who were laid off from Shoalhaven’s waste management contractor Subloos will meet with local council and union members on Thursday morning.


PHOTO: Michael, Eric and Garry along with other local Shoalhaven waste workers will be thrown in the scrap heap if Shoalhaven City Council doesn't step in to fix the mess they created.

The meeting comes after at least 20 workers were told they no longer had employment at 4pm on Tuesday, February 9.
 
Shoalhaven City Council was advised yesterday the company had gone into administration and would cease trading at close of business.
 
Subloos had three local contracts for the provision of weighbridge, non-weighbridge waste transfer station operations, kerbside bulky goods and green waste collection.
 
Transport Workers’ Union NSW secretary Michael Aird said the union warned council in 2011 about the dangers of Subloos low-cost contracting model.
 
“Workers entitlements like superannuation have frequently not been paid, wages have often been arriving weeks late and there have been unsafe waste trucks operating on local streets,” Mr Aird said.
 
The contract between Shoalhaven City Council and Subloos started in 2010 and was due for review at the end of June 2016.
 
When contacted about the issue Subloos, located in South Nowra, referred the matter to tax firm Grant Thornton Australia.
 
Grant Thornton Australia released a statement which confirmed an urgent investigation into the company’s affairs was under way.
 
“With the assistance of councils and other key stakeholders, employees outstanding wages were paid yesterday,” the statement said.
 
“Unfortunately the company is not in a position to continue the employment of approximately 60 employees across the Nowra and Redcliffe operations.”
 
Local waste worker Gary Watson said he had just resolved an issue in November last year where his superannuation was underpaid by more than $26,000.
 
“The outrageous thing is, along with not paying me any superannuation, they had been holding back my voluntary contributions from my wages for themselves,” Mr Watson said.
 
Council has suggested to all Subloos staff they put forward applications with a labour hire company in an attempt to secure their previous position.
 
Mr Watson questioned the strategy and said he and other workers felt they had been given the run around.
 
“We had no notice before we received a phone call at 4pm yesterday to say our employment had ceased,” he said.
 
“We’re really mad.”
 
Mr Watson has worked at various local depots for 14 years and said many other employees who lost their jobs yesterday had over 10 years of experience.
 
Shoalhaven City Council said the Ulladulla, Huskisson and West Nowra waste depots will remain open for business, however the smaller tips managed by Subloos will be closed over the weekend and until Friday, February 19.
 
Affected waste depot sites include Kangaroo Valley, Berry, Callala, Bendalong, Sussex Inlet, Lake Conjola and Kioloa. Any resident who had organised a bulky or green waste collection will also be in the lurch and have been advised to contact council on 4429 3129.
 
Buy Back Centres will temporarily close at all sites and will re-open on Friday, February 19 at Ulladulla, Huskisson and West Nowra only. Buy Back centres will remain closed at the smaller sites until further notice.
 
Red and yellow-topped residential garbage bin collections will not be affected by Subloos’ close of business.
 

All Media Items Share This