Holcim Australia Have Given 19 Of Their Local Employees The Worst Possible Start To 2017
Release date: 17/01/2017
TWU NSW Branch Media Release, 17 January 2017
On their arrival at work this morning 15 quarry tip truck drivers and four mechanics working in the Holcim yard at Albion Park were told their jobs were to be made redundant.
Holcim have also created redundancies in their yard at Arndell Park in Sydney with job losses for seven drivers and three mechanics. The TWU of NSW understands that office and admin staff have also been made redundant.
At Albion Park, Holcim has advised drivers to return to work on Friday 20 January to receive their final pay.
In an outrageous move, Holcim has told their drivers that they can find jobs with local subcontractors who are hired by Holcim to work their quarries.
Drivers will end up losing six dollars an hour for doing exactly what they are doing now.
Holicm Australia have clearly taken no notice of the return to work of the Carlton United Brewery workers in Melbourne. CUB terminated the jobs of 54 electricians and fitters in July last year, before inviting them to reapply for their jobs with subcontractors with a 65 per cent pay cut. CUB did re-employ the workers.
Robert Pirc, South Coast and Southern Sub-Branch Secretary of the Transport Workers Union of NSW is calling on Holcim to re-instate drivers to their original jobs.
“The TWU of NSW knows that Holcim is expanding their operations in the Illawarra, to feed the booming amount of infrastructure in Sydney. I have to ask the question, how do Holcim justify destroying the livelihood of 15 local families to ensure a profit margin?”
Holcim offers employees the following on their website “We will invest in your growth, providing you with direction, leadership and recognition. We will value your contribution and nurture your personal and professional development.”
That’s clearly not available for 19 local Holcim employees from today.
Media Inquiries – Colin Henderson – 0405 625 208
All Media Items