Hillsbus Depots Raided After Western Sydney Crash
Release date: 17/06/2016
The Daily Telegraph, by Leigh Van Den Broeke, 17 June 2016
A bus driver who ploughed into five parked cars had only just been employed at the public transport company.
The bus smashed into five cars on Boundary Rd Northmead
Police and Roads and Maritime Service raided Hillsbus depots in Northmead, Seven Hills and Dural yesterday after one of the company’s buses hit five cars at Northmead on Wednesday.
Traffic Command Inspector Robert Toynton said the 44-year-old male driver had been employed for “a couple weeks” when he lost control of the bus and hit parked cars, landing on top of an SUV on Boundary Rd, near Kleins St.
He said investigators were awaiting blood test results to determine if the driver had any alcohol or drugs in his system at the time.
Yesterday’s raid was about gathering his fatigue management records from Hillsbus’ parent company, ComfortDelgro Cabcharge.
“We will look at if alcohol or drugs were a factor and also whether fatigue was a factor,” Insp Toynton said.
“The accident is still under investigation but I can say it was a miracle no one was hurt. It was just lucky.”
During the raid, police and RMS checked 155 buses, issued one major and seven minor defect notices. All 122 drivers tested negative for alcohol and drugs.
“The results are somewhat pleasing,” Insp Toynton said.
A Hillsbus spokesman said the company was “co-operating fully” with police and RMS.
“Hillsbus understands that public confidence in the safety of bus services is paramount,” he said. “Hillsbus is pleased that police have informed the company that no significant issues were found.”
Transport Workers Union NSW Sydney sub-branch secretary Mick Pieri said bus driver fatigue was a major issue.
“Car drivers are told to stop, revive and survive every two hours but the state government is happy for bus drivers carrying our kids and commuters to stay behind the wheel for up to five hours without a break,” he said.
All Media Items